A group of more than 40 Black and minority-owned game companies in alliance with the Game Manufacturers Association (GAMA) and the Black Game Makers Association is calling on big-box retailers to improve access to diverse and inclusive games.
“Multicultural toys and games help all to share their experiences and unite through play,” says an open letter published by Cards for All People on its Medium account. “They enhance our empathy and understanding of each other without divisiveness and malice. In your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we ask that you publicly commit to the following:
- Provide the same opportunities for buyer engagement as are afforded to non-minority owned brands such as Hasbro, Mattel, Asmodee & Spin Master
- Create dedicated shelf space for businesses that make products catering to people of color, women and LGBTQIA+ people
- Create programming that helps buyers learn about diverse products and communities they have little to no knowledge of
- Strengthen your existing commitments to our communities beyond cultural holidays and advertising
- Set a measurable, quantifiable financial investment goal and ensure transparency in reporting to demonstrate accountability to customers.”
Have you played some awesome games from diverse creators that families should know about? Let us know by sharing your picks in the comments below!