Mattel is celebrating Barbie‘s 60th anniversary with great social initiatives and fun new toys. Over the years, Barbie has had more than 200 careers, made six runs for President, and blasted off for a trip to the moon — even before Neil Armstrong.
The Barbie Career 60th Anniversary doll collection celebrates six careers that have been there since the beginning, but are still areas underrepresented by women: astronaut, pilot, athlete, journalist, politician, and firefighter.
For bigger kids (collectors), the Barbie 60th Anniversary and Proudly Pink Barbie dolls honor 60 years of classic Barbie fashion.
As a continuation of the “Shero” program launched in 2015, more than 20 women will be honored as Barbie role models this year. The lineup includes representation from multiple countries and continents, with honorees ranging from 19 to 85 years old and speaking 13 languages.
Throughout the year, families can enjoy Barbie anniversary events across the country and around the world.
Barbie 60th Anniversary Events include:
- An immersive Barbie pop-up experience in New York City to celebrate the brand’s past, present, and future on March 9. Equal parts fashion tribute and art installation, fans of all ages can celebrate the icon.
- The Barbie “Be Anything” Tour will kick-off in Bentonville, Ark. with GRAMMY-nominated, country music star Kelsea Ballerini on March 9 and 10. It will run through October and stop at 36 participating U.S. Walmart locations. At each stop, girls can hear about a role model’s journey, enter for a chance to win up to $20,000, and enjoy other fun and interactive experiences for the whole family.
- “Barbie Presented by Amazon” pop-up stores are in five major markets across the U.S. based on Amazon’s innovative physical retail model. Fans are treated to an immersive Barbie experience through April 2.
- In-store activations in various participating U.S. Target locations throughout the country on March 9 that will feature the “What Will You Be” exclusive Barbie-themed apparel and accessories line for girls ages 5 to 10.
- Celebrating female empowerment with a visual message at landmarks across the world including New York’s Empire State Building, TOKYO SKYTREE, Toronto’s CN Tower, and Sydney’s Bondi Beach.