The new school semester is just over the horizon, but the end of summer does not mean the end of fun. Toy Insider Senior Editor Marissa DiBartolo stopped by Better Connecticut in New Haven to show off the freshest gear so kids can return to the classroom in style. For more on the products featured in this segment, check out the notes below, and for more on the hottest new toys of the season be sure to view our Spring and Summer Toy Guide.
Shopkins Back to School Gear (Moose Toys)
- Shopkins fans can go back to school in style with everything ranging from fidget spinners to light up sneakers.
- Pajamas from Global Brands Group includes short sleeves sets to fleece onesies.
- Clothing from Extreme Concepts includes Sprinkle Squad t-shirts, faux denim dresses, Pink Donut dress, and a Rainbows and Glitter Fuschia Dress.
- Sketchers is taking its popular sneaker silhouettes and adding Shopkins to them with light up technology. The colorful shoes span from toddler to tween sizes.
- Kids can also add LCD watches, fidget spinners, folders, water bottles and backpacks to the their Shopkins collection this fall.
- Age: 3+
- MSRP: $1.00- $40.00
- Available: Walmart, Target, Amazon
Marvel Water Bottle Collection (Nalgene)
- Stay hydrated all summer long with help from your favorite heroes.
- Nalgene’s 32-ounce wide-mouth bottles and more compact 20-ounce Kids On-The-Fly bottles now feature Marvel superheroes.
- The Avengers collection features Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Black Widow, Spider-Man, and Hulk.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy collection has Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket and Groot.
- Age: All
- MSRP: $11.99-$14.99
- Available: Nalgene.com, Amazon
Fashion Backpacks (Bixbee)
- The Sparkalicious Butterflyer dazzles and shines, letting kids spread their wings and fly! Each bag is as roomy as it is fun with space for everything they need for school or travel.
- The Rocketflyer will set imaginations a flight, sending them into an orbit of style. Each bag is as roomy as it is fun with space for everything they need for school or travel.
- Perfectly sized for kids, this backpack features a patented horizontal design that keeps supplies within easy reach. The cover flap pocket opens to a main compartment with plenty of space for a folder, storybook, small blanket or sweater.
- Two interior slip pockets hold small necessities like pencils, and crayons. Even when it’s packed to the brim, this backpack rests comfortably on kid shoulders, thanks to contoured shoulder straps with cushy padding. Four exterior pockets plus an ID holder under flap to keep kids organized.
- Bixbee’s unique backpacks and accessories have helped create a movement with their “One Here. One There.” social mission. For every backpack purchase, Bixbee donates a backpack with school supplies to a child in need.
- MSRP: $29.99
- Available: bixbee.com, Amazon, Nordstrom
Crayola Silly Scents Assortment (Crayola)
- Crayola Silly Scents are essential creative tools for school projects and detailed artwork. The line includes Twistable Colored Pencils, Mini Twistables Crayons, and Markers.
- Each pack contains a range of bright, vibrant colors and juicy scents to inspire children’s self-expression and imagination, at an incredible value.
- Age: 5+
- MSRP: $4.99-$7.99
- Available: Amazon, Target, Toys “R” Us, Walmart
iHome Over the Ear Headphones (eKids)
- Perfect for teens and tweens who are never without their music!
- Sleek and contemporary designed headphones that deliver detailed and rich audio.
- Padded and adjustable headband allow for a custom fit. The headphones also include in-line microphone compatible with most mobile phones.
- Available in Beauty and the Beast, Trolls, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Nintendo styles
- Age: 6+
- MSRP: $24.99
- Available: Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon
Five Star Assortment (Five Star)
- Five Star gives students notebooks, binders, backpacks, and accessories that promise both durability and customizable options.
- The Snap-In Bookmark Dividers, Tabbed Pocket Dividers, Storage & Organization Pockets, and Add-A-Folder accessories give students a chance to organize in a way that works best for them.
- The Flex NoteBinder, the 4-Inch Capacity Zipper Binder, and the 2-inch Zipper Binder with Expansion Panel give students the proper amount of space needed to carry all that they need to during the school day. The durable materials are tough enough to last all year.
- The Five Star Expandable Backpack has multiple expanding sections that open like luggage to give you up to seven inches of extra storage space.
- MSRP: range from $9.99-$44.99 (backpack)
- Available: Amazon, Walmart, Staples
- NEON KYX light up shoes are packed with LED lights in the midsole for a bright time.
- You can choose between seven different colors and four cool settings (pulse, flicker, strobe and gradual) to match your mood or outfit!
- Perfect for the nightclub, the skate park or hanging out around town, this is one scorching hot pair of sneakers that make a serious fashion statement.
- Includes USB charging cable.
- Available in kids sizes 10 – 6, men’s sizes 5-12 and women’s sizes 4-12.
- MSRP $69.99 to $74.99
Y Glider XL Deluxe (Yvolution)
- The Y Glider XL Deluxe features three adjustable steering levels to best suit each child’s experience based on their steering comfort.
- Children can personalize their scooter with a changeable deck comes available in three colors and colorful wheel inserts.
- The extra wide rear wheel provides control and stability.
- Folding adjustable handlebars make for easy transport.
- Age: 5-8
- MSRP: $89.99
- Available: COMING SOON to Amazon, Target, Toys “R” Us, Walmart