Toy Insider Editor-in-Chief Marissa DiBartolo joined Fox News Edge to talk about toy manufacturers such as Hasbro, ORB, MGA Entertainment, Mattel, Ty, Lego, VTech, Leapfrog, Crayola, and others who are using their resources to help healthcare workers, parents, and kids during the global pandemic.
- Hasbro partnered with Cartamundi to produce 50,000 face shields each week. The company is working with No Kid Hungry and Save the Children, and launched its Bring Home the Fun campaign and online resource hub to help families stay engaged.
- The ORB Factory, parent company of ORB Toys, is shifting production to help meet the need for hand sanitizer and other antibacterial products around the world.
- Spin Master created face shields using headbands from its Hedbanz game fitted with PET inserts. The company is producing more than 20,000 per day. To date, nearly 200,000 face shields have been produced and are now in use in over 100 hospitals, nursing homes and shelters across North America. The company is also working with top organizations that support children and families to donate 85,000 toys to families in need. They launched SuperFunCalendar.com, a website for kids ages 3-7 featuring interactive and engaging activities and video content featuring favorite characters from Paw Patrol, Hatchimals, Bakugan and more. It’s available this week only from 9 a.m. – 3p.m. ET.
- MGA Entertainment (MGAE) launched “Operation: Pac-Man” in an effort to pool resources and get medical supplies to healthcare providers. The company sourced 2 million masks from overseas to donate to hundreds of hospitals; offered use of its 15 3-D printers to hospitals; and has re-tooled the Little Tikes factory in Ohio to produce medical equipment — including an original ventilator design called the LEV LOVE— domestically. MGA Entertainment’s L.O.L. Surprise! Frontline Hero doll will be sold to raise funds for the efforts. $1 from each doll sale will go to the company’s Operation: Pac-Man initiative.
- The LEGO Group has pledged a $50 million donation to three groups, including Education Cannot Wait, which provides education for kids caught in emergencies and protracted crises. The company has also partnered with Fairy Bricks to donate 30,000 LEGO sets to the children of healthcare workers in the UK. Plus, they are producing more than 13,000 visors a day for healthcare providers in Denmark. And, the #LetsBuildTogether initiative presents a central hub for content for kids and families, including retro builds, daily challenges, and live build-a-longs.
Mattel launched new #ThankYouHeroes action figures featuring nurses, doctors, delivery workers and grocery store clerks. $15 of each sale goes to #FirstRespondersFirst, an initiative created to support first responder healthcare workers as they serve on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic. The company is also producing face masks using Barbie and Fisher-Price fabric, and producing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as face shields. Mattel Playroom is a free online resource hub for families.
- Ty has issued a Hope Beanie Boo with 100% of the proceeds supporting the United Way COVID-19 Fund.
- VTech and LeapFrog are partnering with AdoptAClassroom.org to support classrooms impacted by COVID-19. AdoptAClassroom.org is working directly with educators, schools and vendor partners to identify their needs and get tools in the hands of students. Through Friday, April 3, VTech and LeapFrog will be matching all donations made here: bit.ly/LearnThroughThisDonation up to $50,000.
Online Resources for Children
- VTech and LeapFrog have launched Learn Through This, an online resource for families, parents, and caregivers.
- Crayola at Home: Crayola has compiled a list of DIY step-by-step projects, downloadable coloring pages for kids and adults, and art-focused lesson plans. Crayola is also encouraging families to spread gratitude with inspirational chalk art, window decorations, and thank you notes to essential workers, then sharing it on social media with the hashtag #SayItColorfully. Link: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/sayitcolorfully/