The kids are back in school, but that doesn’t mean the fun has to end. Toy Insider’s Chief Toy Officer Laurie Schacht stopped by Global News’ The Morning Show to show off the best new toys that are both fun and educational. For more on the items featured in this segment, check out the product notes below, and for the complete rundown of the best toys of the spring and summer, be sure to check our complete Toy Insider Spring and Summer Gift Guide.
FISHER-PRICE LAUGH & LEARN PULL & PLAY LEARNING WAGON (MATTEL)
- The ultimate activity station on wheels – baby will love taking Puppy (and their favorite toys) for a ride while learning about colors, numbers, letters, shapes and more.
- There are two ways to play: Babies will strengthen their gross motor skills by sitting up and playing with the wagon or walking and pulling it along.
- The wagon includes Smart Stages technology so you can switch up the learning fun based on a baby’s age and stage.
- Plus, it has a motion sensor that rewards toddlers with music & sounds as they walk and pull the wagon along.
- This interactive red wagon features a variety of activities for sitting babies to bat, press, rattle and flip, as well as light-up buttons, xylophone “keys” and more that activate songs, sounds, and phrases along with storage for easy clean up.
- Age: 6 – 36 mos.
- MSRP: $39.99
- Available: Target, Amazon, Walmart
EXPLORE AND WRITE ACTIVITY DESK (VTECH)
- The Explore and Write Activity Desk features an interactive desktop and five pages to explore that are filled with engaging content including letters, numbers, music, colors and more.
- The writing pad with light-up display lets kids practice writing by tracing letters, numbers and shapes with a stylus.
- The desk transforms into an easel and chalkboard with plenty of storage space for art supplies.
- Continue the play with expansion packs (each sold separately) that each focus on a specific curriculum like nursery rhymes, reading skills, animals and numbers.
- Kids can also play with the touchscreen toy phone or listen to more than 20 melodies on the music player.
- Age: 2-5
- MSRP: CAD $79.99
- Available: Amazon, Toys “R” Us, Mastermind Toys, Best Buy, London Drug
- Shake your tail with the mix & Match-A-Saurus!
- Mix & Match-a-saurus is a silly and sweet friend who also pretends to be a robot and a monster.
- Mix & Match-a-saurus shares his happy, sleepy and angry feelings while singing and dancing to ballet, hip-hop and marching band music.
- Insert the colorful tiles on Mix & Match-a-saurus’s back to customize how you want to play with him!
- Mix & Match-a-saurus always encourages children to follow along. Mix and match the nine tiles to create 27 different responses.
- A dinosaur egg is included to store all the tiles.
- Age: 2-5
- MSRP: CAD $44.99
- Available: Walmart, Amazon, TRU, Canadian Tire, Loblaws, Best Buy, Mastermind, HBC
LIL’ BLIZZARD FRIENDS (SUNNY DAYS ENTERTAINMENT)
- Each Lil’ Blizzard Friend is full of super sweet personality!
- Designed to look like one of six iconic Dairy Queen Blizzards, that look almost good enough to eat, kids can open the Blizzard to discover a few blind packages inside.
- Surprises include a unique Lil’ Blizzard Friend and one outfit.
- Not only are they all super adorable, 12 dolls even include interchangeable hair!
- There are 24 different Lil’ Blizzard Friends to collect.
- Age: 3+
- MSRP: CAD $9.99
- Available: Walmart Canada
- This school building comes with two classrooms, front office, staircase with integrated lockers, elevator, and restroom.
- The included digital clock has a school bell and can also be used as an alarm clock.
- Kids can expand this set with the Gym and History Class (sold separately) for added fun.
- Age: 5+
- MSRP: CAD $169.99
- Available: Playmobil.ca
BATTLEBOTS RIVALS (BLACKSMITH AND BITEFORCE) (HEXBUG)
- Kids can take BattleBots matches to the next level!
- They can crush their opponents with Blacksmith’s devastating hammer, or tear them apart with the season three champion, Bite Force.
- They can use the motorized weapons to break off their armor, because the last bot standing wins.
- Featuring the latest designs from season three, Bite Force and Blacksmith join the fight. With these remote control bots, kids can activate the motorized weapons and knock their opponent’s armor off to win the battle.
- When they’re done, they can simply reattach the armor and get ready for the next round.
- Batteries are included.
- Age: 8+
- MSRP: CAD $64.99
- Available: Amazon, HEXBUG.com
HOT WHEELS R/C 1:10 MONSTER TRUCK ASSORTMENT (NEW BRIGHT)
- Decorated just like their high-flying, car-crushing, oversized inspiration with monster wheels that are ready for mega tough terrain!
- The R/Cs feature full function R/C, with “Try Me”, sounds, shaking engine and working headlights.
- Kids can pick up the Bigfoot and Bone Shaker vehicles in the assortment and head to the arena for head-to-head battle.
- Age: 8+
- MSRP: CAD $79.99
- Available: Toys “R” Us Canada, Canadian Tire, JRC Toys and The Northwest