Did you know that only 10% of the toys manufactured are made in the USA? Toy Insider Mom, Laurie Schacht did some research though and brought all of her all-American toy finds to The Today Show with Kathie Lee and Hoda.
The biggest trend we are seeing with toys right now is the use of technology in them, with them, and controlling them. Whether it’s driving, or flying, augmented reality, games for all ages, or tablets for the family, these toys are aging up, keeping “kids” in the game longer, and are using what’s already in kids (and adults) hands..their smart devices. This is the beginning of an entirely new generation of how we play.
Today, our Toy Insider Mom visited with the Today Show to give a the scoop on this hot new toy trend.
MSRP: $79.99 www.Silverlit.com - This R/C Car designed to run using the power of your iPod touch, iPhone or iPad as the remote control. The Bluetooth connection requires NO other attachments.
- Full gesture control allows you to control the car with the tilt of the controller.
- The app recreates the dashboard design from Porsche.
- Headlights, tail lights, signal lights are triggered from the app.
Wi-Spi Helicopter (Interactive Toy Concepts) Age: 14+
Available fall www.interactivetoy.com
- Live Video Feed direct to device
- 3 channel Wi-Fi Flight Control
- Apple/Android compatible
- Record Video and pictures while in flights
- Upload instantly to FB, You Tube, email, etc.
HELO TC Assault (Griffin Technology) Age:14+
MSRP: $59.99 www.griffintechnology.com
- Plug the included Flight Deck module into the headphone jack of any iOS or Android device, download the HELO TC Assault app, and users are ready to fly and attack from the sky.
- Flight Deck translates commands from phone into infrared signals that beam to the helicopter
- Fly and attack, this heli is equipped with six live-fire missiles
- App also provides features not available with other RC helicopters, such as Auto Land
- Fly in one of two ways, Touch Control (using a virtual joystick on the touchscreen display) or Tilt to Steer (tilting the smartphone to maneuver the chopper)
- Similar to the original HELO TC, features a twin-rotor design and ability to record up to three flight plans for easy repetition
zAPPed (Hasbro) zAPPed Games (Hasbro)
2 to 4 players
MSRP: $24.99 (THE GAME OF LIFE available now…other games in fall) www.hasbro.com
- zAPPed games are available for THE GAME OF LIFE, MONOPOLY and BATTLESHIP.
- Elements of these games will come to life when apps on iOS devices join with a game board to create a unique social twist on the digital gaming experience.
- The first game available is THE GAME OF LIFE zAPPed,
- With more than 100 laugh-out-loud clips from “America’s Funniest Videos” mixed with humorous animations, the game provides a new spin on the beloved classic game.
- Simply download the THE GAME OF LIFE zAPPed app onto the iPad, cue up the game, place the iPad on the game board, and watch as game comes to life on each turn as you travel around the game board.
- Players can create and upgrade their own Peg Person and spin THE GAME OF LIFE zAPPed virtual spinner in the accompanying iPad app.
iPieces (Pressman Toy) Compatible with iPad
For 2 to 4 players
MSRP: $9.99 each www.PressmanToy.com
- iPieces introduces a new generation of board games for the whole family, played with physical game pieces made specially for the iPad
- Buy the iPieces for the game you’d like to play and then download the corresponding iPieces app for free from the App store.
- Your iPad serves as the game board and iPieces game pieces activate astonishing animations and special effects, which literally bring the game to life.
- Assortment includes: Fishing Game, Air Hockey, Snakes & Ladders, and Game of Goose
Kurio7 (Techno Source) Ages 4 to 14, and fun for the whole family
MSRP: $199 (8” and 10” models also available) www.KurioTablet.com
- Kids today want real tablets like mom and dad’s, not toy versions; but, parents are often hesitant to hand theirs over because they are expensive and they have unrestricted access to online content
- Kurio7 is a real Android tablet for families that offers parents a more affordable kid-tough option and complete parental control; everything from internet access and time control, to app access and purchasing control.
- Parents can create up to 8 different user profiles, including their own offering complete online access, and customize profiles for each child allowing access to age appropriate content—as the child gets older, they can allow for more access
- The Kurio app store will launch with 4,000 Android Market apps approved for children under the age of 14. The apps will have no in-game advertising or micro-transactions. Kurio7 will also come pre-loaded with 3 to 5 well-known apps (TBD).
- Includes a durable protective shell.
Still shopping? The Toy Insider Mom stopped by The Today show to visit once more with Hoda and Kathie Lee with some truly fun and unique last minute gift ideas! Check out these toys for kids from 0-99!
• Perform mind boggling flips and stunts or race them!
• Chase after the light projected from the remote with amazing speed, agility and control using new patented
technology in light control
• Adjust the speed with the trigger, hit the turbo button form maximum power or use the left/right buttons for
tight turns and maneuvering
• Race the Chaser on to the curved ramp included and they’ll flip over and keep on going
• Each set includes Lazer Stunt Chaser car, with built -in rechargeable battery, battery deck charger, wireless remote, stunt ramp and instruction guide. (Batteries for charger and remote not included).
____________________________________________________________________________ Backyard Safari Outfitters (Summit Toy)
MSRP: $ 14.99—39.99 each
• Base Camp Field Shelter – large enough for several kids to set up camp, complete with storage for all their gear
• Camouflage Netting – helps kids hide in plain sight
• Lazer Light Bug Vacuum – kids can capture bugs, identify specimens, and look at them up close using the built‐in
• Bird Watcher’s Field Kit – includes binoculars, tripod and three different bird callers
• Butterfly Habitat – the perfect environment for raising butterflies; includes a mail‐in coupon to receive live caterpillars and their food
• Expedition Two – includes a sturdy hiking stick and special missions to complete out on the trail
____________________________________________________________________________ Lemonade Stand (ALEX Toys)
• Chalkboard front panel perfect for listing the day’s specials
• Oversized wheels and handle for easy movement
• Includes pitcher and four cups
____________________________________________________________________________ Smash Stix (Wild Planet)
• Soft foam batons with electronic score pad
• Sound effects let you know when you’ve been hit
• Game automatically declares winner after 10 hits are registered against one player
____________________________________________________________________________ Nerf Dart Tag Swarmfire Blaster (Hasbro)
MSRP: $29.99; Jersey MSRP: $15.99
• Players can launch a powerful stream of up to 20 darts, keeping opposing teams at bay
• Competition jerseys are available in orange or blue, featuring target panels on the front, back, and sleeves, as
well as mesh side panels to keep teams cool in the heat of battle
____________________________________________________________________________ Sunny Patch Sand Play Sets (Melissa & Doug)
MSRP: $14.99 each
• Kids can make delicious pretend desserts at the beach or in the sand box with these Sunny Patch sand play sets
____________________________________________________________________________ Naturally Playful® Little Dunes Sandbox (Step 2)
• Design and modern styling blends in with traditional landscapes in residential outdoor living areas
• Molded‐in seats on either side give kids a place to sit while playing
• Holds up to 150 lbs (68 kg) of sand (sand not included)
• Included colorful lid products sand from weather and pets
• 8.5” H x 45.00” x W x 29.25” D
____________________________________________________________________________ Nerf Super Soaker Thunderstorm (Hasbro)
• Fully automatic for maximum speed
• Send soaking streams up to 25 feet away!
• Requires 4 “AA” batteries (not included)
____________________________________________________________________________ KAOS Nemesis (Imperial Toy)
MSRP: $ 14.99
• KAOS brings out the insane fun of an extreme water balloon fight
• Allows users to throw a water balloon over 100 feet
____________________________________________________________________________ Play Up Teeter Totter (Step 2)
• Two side‐contoured seats
• Easy grip handles
• Wipes clean easily
• Limit 2 children; maximum weight limit: 162 lbs
• 14.5” H x 47.75” W x 15.25” D